A Retrospective and Favorites from the Show

View previous topic View next topic Go down

A Retrospective and Favorites from the Show

Post by Space Soup on Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:15 pm

I've been an avid fan of the show for the longest time, and have gone into discussions about the show before. But never have I once game my view upon the show in a whole now that it's ended. Let's fix that.

I've watched the Eds ever since 1999, much to my mother's chagrin -- she always hated the show, considering it "The Three Stooges, but cartoony and even stupider," but I didn't care what she thought. From the beginning, I loved seeing every minute of it (and hated every minute of NOT seeing it. Looking at you, whole hour of Scooby Doo that was shown after Toonami before it.)

Of course, I'm going to start from the top: with Season 1.

Season 1 was where it all began. Running for 26 episodes, the stories told of Ed's simple, yet filthy lifestyle, Edd's playing the straight man and neatnik attitude, and Eddy trying to play everything cool and make a quick quarter on the side. A combination for either a crazy day, or a disaster waiting to happen, especially when their rivals and bane of their existence, the Kanker sisters, are involved. Everyone's character seemed simplistic. Nobody was too over the top, Rolf wasn't too foreign, Jimmy wasn't too frail -- in some cases, far from it, despite getting a random injury every episode, and Jonny, while still a tree-hugger, wasn't as big into the Hippie character as later seasons. Everyone's voices seemed to be in prototype stages as well. Edd, Jimmy, Rolf, and Jonny in particular. But most of the episodes were just trying to be cool, hatch up a scheme, get themselves out of a predicament made by their own hand, or just fool around and get into some crazy antics.

One of my personal favorite episodes from this season is "Dawn of the Eds", in which Ed and the others end up playing out a fantasy of a movie that Ed wants to see, but can't. Not only does this play out well, from the beginning when Ed simply describes it, with imagery similar to his descriptions, but eventually, his colorful imagination gets the better of him, much to Edd and Eddy's chagrin. All combined with a sci-fi soundtrack exclusive to that episode, complete with Theremin. An honorable mention goes to "A Glass of Warm Ed", where Edd and Eddy chase down a sleep-walking and sleep-eating Ed, with great pacing and a dreamy soundtrack to fit the mood, and some funny moments in between. ("Oh, Jim got a haircut.")

I want to give this season a 10/10, but I must note that although most of the episodes are amazing, they're also very rough. Nothing in it's truly finalized until Season 2, and some characters, like Nazz and Serah, have little character aside from being either loud and obnoxious, or in Nazz's case, the pretty girl. As such, I give Season 1

9/10 Jawbreakers

I'll be doing these seasons one by one, and doing the specials seperately and the Movie with Season 6. So stay tuned!
Space Soup

http://diaplank.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Re: A Retrospective and Favorites from the Show

Post by Space Soup on Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:33 pm

Ah, Season 2. Aired throughout late 1999, comprised of another 26 episodes, the show was coming into full swing here. Character's personalities get fleshed out, and Nazz gets a new voice actor, Erin Fitzgerald, now known for her role as Chie Satonaka in the Persona series. Kevin tries to be the cool kid and show up the "dorks" as always, Rolf is beginning to show more signs of himself being from foreign lands, Jimmy's inner cunning is especially beginning to show in "Ed-in-a-Halfshell", and this season is home to one of the most bizarre episodes of the entire show.

An interesting note is that this episode is home to a Christmas "Not-a-Holiday"  episode, Fa-la-la-la Ed, where the show STILL takes place during the summer, but the aspects of Christmas are hardly overlooked by not only the Eds, but by the other Cul-De-Sac gang as well. But at the same time, unlike a rival show, SpongeBob, and it's Valentine's Day episode, the aspect of Christmas is not blatant. It's still July, nowhere near Christmas, and so CN never seems to take this in mind during rerun, so "Cry Ed", it's following episode, is not overshadowed, unlike SpongeBob's "The Paper", which is hardly reran because of it's former episode's state as a holiday special.

One of my personal favorite episodes, of course, is "Rambling Ed", after Sarah bombards Ed with a myriad of chores, Eddy seems to find it ideal that Ed should live on his own, away from Sarah's demands. But Eddy's idea of where Ed should stay, Rolf's farm, is not only appropriate for somebody like Ed, but it also raises hell for Rolf, as he not only has to deal with one Ed, but he has to deal with his house guests, Edd and Eddy, as well, which proves taxing on his sanity.

"THE BURDEN OF HOSPITALITY IS TOO GREAT FOR ROLF!!"

An honorable mention goes to "Dear Ed", which add character to our tree-hugger, Jonny 2x4, after being separated by his best friend, Plank, Jonny finds himself in a depressed stupor, which the Eds try to remedy by finding a sort of "replacement goldfish" for Jonny, in the shape of many inanimate objects with faces on them. Too many friends puts Jonny in a panic, until he's reunited with Plank at last, ending with a cool-looking dance number starring Jimmy and the Eds.

"If you can't beat em... show off!"

This season is amazing, stuffed with awesome moments, funny antics, and some really nice character development. I seem to find little flaw with this season as well.

10/10 Jawbreakers

Tune in next time when I tackle Season 3.
Space Soup

Back to top Go down

Post by Spikender on Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:47 pm

When's part three droppin', humie?

I need to reminisce some more about the show but doodling pictures of Edd making out with a body pillow of Eddy just ain't cuttin' it anymore, ya feels me?
Spikender

Back to top Go down

Post by Space Soup on Sun May 31, 2015 4:58 am

...!

*Dusts off the thread* *Blows off dust* Phew. Been a year since I touched this thing. I think Season 3 is long overdue. To make it up to you guys, I'll give you all a treat -- you get two retrospectives in one post! Two birds, one stone!

So let's get rolling with Season 3. Season 3 debuted in 2001 and continued into 2002, and as entertaining as it is, at the same time, it feels as though it blends in a little TOO well with Seasons 2 and 4. There's almost nothing that makes it unique from it compared to Season 4 and above, and since Season 2, the art has reached its peak in terms of Cel Animation. If anything, it's mostly known for having the show's first full-length episode, "If It Smells Like An Ed", which I at first mistook for being in Season 4. But regardless, my personal favorite episode from this season is "Wish You Were Ed", the first episode of Season 3. Rolf is homesick after feeling out of touch with his neighborhood friends and acquaintances. Hatching a scheme in the works, the Eds fake his homeland, though Eddy still has money on the mind. It also birthed one of the most popular gags in the show, even if it was only for that episode, "That's My Horse". The less bruises I get mentioning that, the better. An honorable mention goes to the episode "Dueling Eds", mostly for the spectacular character development for Rolf, and the fantastic fight scene at the climax of the episode. If anything makes Season 3 unique, it's that episode.

In spite of all this, I give Season 3...

8/10 JAWBREAKERS

Moving along to Season 4. Season 4 is the second-longest running season, beginning in late 2002, and finishing in the middle of 2004. Many episodes were spread out as various Cartoon Network promotions. However, many of its episodes were stellar, and the show had a massive amount of character development, including people like Jonny 2x4, and his superhero-alter ego, Captain Melonhead, and Plank's equivalent, Splinter the Wonder Wood. But enough Melon Time, it's time for my favorite episode. My favorite episode for Season 4 is "Little Ed Blue", from trying to cheer the funked-up Ed up, from Ed's furious rampage. Honorable mention goes to "An Ed Is Born", where Eddy attempts to make himself seem grown-up to his Big Brother. Of course, there are a lot of various aspects that ensure that this blows up in his face.

This Season overall, as long as it was, has some very good episodes, with great character development. Overall, I give Season 4
9/10 JAWBREAKERS

Tune in next time, whenever that is, for the first of the three holiday specials -- Jingle Jingle Jangle!
Space Soup

Back to top Go down

Post by ChikaraGuy on Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:01 am

My favorite episode was the one where they tripped on DMT and Eddy thought he could see god.
ChikaraGuy

Back to top Go down

Post by Space Soup on Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:33 am

ChikaraGuy wrote:My favorite episode was the one where they tripped on DMT and Eddy thought he could see god.

What the hell are you talking about?

Anyway, Jingle Jingle Jangle. This episode was a first for many things. It was, for one, the first legitimate holiday special for the show, as opposed to Season 2's Fa-La-La-La Ed, the first instance of the show drawn in digital ink, prior to Season 5's premiere about one year later, and the first to introduce both a new character outside all our Cul-De-Sac kids, and an adult, Father Christmas himself, Santa Claus. But does it hold up the festive spirit in me? Let's find out together.

There are about three focuses: Eddy, out of anger after he is once again given clothes for Christmas by his family, decides to "adopt himself" into another member of the Cul-De-Sac kid's families, in an attempt to leech off of the presents they're to open on Christmas morning. His friends, Ed and Double D, are trying to snap him out of his greedy ideals and make him understand the true meaning of Christmas for himself, before it's too late. The Kanker Sisters, meanwhile, spot a shining star in the sky and decide to journey towards it, even though it was just a star amplified from a flashlight Eddy had knocked over early in the special during his search for the presents. Their subplot takes an interesting spin on the Three Wise Men, and later, the nativity scene, something that normally doesn't get mixed in with plots like Santa Claus and presents. Of course, as Eddy comes to terms with the error of his ways, Santa offloads his presents to the Cul-De-Sac kids, but Eddy tries to keep them all to himself in a hilarious subversion. But in the end, they're sent flying back to the kids anyway, and the Kankers have their way with the Eds once again. I was never fond of the "Kanker Harassment" endings that are commonly seen in EEnE, but here, I think it works well enough.

9/10 JAWBREAKERS

Next time: Hanky Panky Hullabaloo, the second of the specials.

Back to top Go down

Post by ChikaraGuy on Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:48 pm

Remember the one time Jimmy got a face tattoo of a snake?
ChikaraGuy

Back to top Go down

Post by ededdeddyforever1 on Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:47 pm

Space soup. The second season was aired throughout the year 2000... Well most of it...

ededdeddyforever1

Back to top Go down

Post by Space Soup on Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:45 pm

ededdeddyforever1 wrote:Space soup. The second season was aired throughout the year 2000... Well most of it...

For the sake of this retrospective, most of the information in the case of episodes and airdates rely on the Episodes section of The3Eds.

Anyway, there's something I completely forgot about in the previous retrospective.

What I Forgot:

Moving on. Almost-immediately after Jingle Jingle Jangle was aired, Hanky Panky Hullabaloo was aired two months later, just before Valentines Day in 2005. Naturally, it was a Valentines Day special, and the first entry in the series to showcase an entirely new area of Peach Creek -- Peach Creek Jr. High, where all the kids (sans Jimmy and Sarah, despite later seasons -- more on that in a bit) go to school. It's February, and the Valentines Spirit is in the air. And naturally for Eddy, that means scoring a kiss by any girls that comes his way, with the use of a crudely crafted kissing booth. He instead gets the business end of Hall Monitor Kevin, who happily dishes out a detention for him -- a recurring theme for him even when he's off duty as a hall monitor. He also appears to be a coach for the Gym Class, along with Nazz, for whatever reason.

The main plot, however, revolves around Edd and, oddly enough, May, whom after being rejected by Ed as per usual, is consoled by Edd with a Valentines Card hastily addressed to her. Some cupids -- that oddly look a lot like Sarah and Jimmy -- shoot the cliche arrows into the two, making them fall in love, and most of the time shared together revolves around them flirting each other. Meanwhile, as Marie becomes violently jealous of May, the Eds get suspicious about Double D's behavior. Additionally, Rolf, who thinks Valentines Day is a bunch of hooey, senses the cupids presence and fears danger is on the horizon -- but not right away, as it otherwise appears to be like Rolf just being Rolf. The climax involves the Kankers and Eds butting heads with each other over this newfound lovey-doveyness, and swells into a massive food fight -- which is pacified by the cupids in one of the oddest cases of shippings I've ever seen in any episode of the show.

But Rolf manages to snap everyone out of it and disposes of the cupids accordingly, bringing everything to normal. Somewhat.

Compared to JJJ, this special felt sort of... lacking. Like it was rushed with the success of the Christmas special before it. Additionally, this is the only special of the three that has not seen a release on any media whatsoever, as far as I'm aware. Both JJJ and the next special were placed on compilation DVDs for Cartoon Network shows, and none of the three specials have been places for sale on the iTunes store. In the case of HPH, maybe it's better that way. I give this special

6/10 JAWBREAKERS

Tune in next time for the last of the three Holiday specials, the Halloween special "Boo Haw Haw".

EddyxPlank and EdxSandwich OTP

Back to top Go down

Post by ededdeddyforever1 on Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:01 pm

So.. Um, why are all these websites telling me that season 2 started on novemer 26 1999 and ended in december 2000? Tv.com, itunes, etc. all tell me nov.26 1999 was when it started .. Explaint that. Please

ededdeddyforever1

Back to top Go down

Post by Space Soup on Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:29 pm

ededdeddyforever1 wrote:So.. Um, why are all these websites telling me that season 2 started on novemer 26 1999 and ended in december 2000? Tv.com, itunes, etc. all tell me nov.26 1999 was when it started .. Explaint that. Please

Because that's when they apparently aired...? Honestly, I'm not the person you should be asking about something like that. Especially in a topic for a person giving their retrospective of the entire show.

Back to top Go down

Post by ChikaraGuy on Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:33 pm

hold up a sec.

I was watching an old episode when i see this shit
[url=][/url]

they can't afford a goddamn 25 cent candy and they're going all out feeding surf and turf to plank like wtf man
ChikaraGuy

Back to top Go down

Post by SkullDevil on Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:08 pm

Hush, my fellow Chikara. If you exhaust your brain thinking about cartoon logic, then it's gonna go boom boom.
SkullDevil

Back to top Go down

Post by Mobias on Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:39 am

then again, it's not totally improbable that Jimmy's parents have that kind of stuff in their fridge and he just took it. I always got the impression that his family has a surprising amount of money, and being a kid he doesn't really think about it being an expensive treat.

http://tobymobias.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by ChikaraGuy on Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:22 am

Mobias wrote:then again, it's not totally improbable that Jimmy's parents have that kind of stuff in their fridge and he just took it. I always got the impression that his family has a surprising amount of money, and being a kid he doesn't really think about it being an expensive treat.

True. My parents always just gave me a vague "no" when I tried to order surf and turf, so I never understood it was that lucrative and expensive. Plus, lobster kinda sucks anyway so no kid will think of it as a delicacy.
ChikaraGuy

Back to top Go down

Post by Space Soup on Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:35 am

A-HEM. Driving this thread back on topic months later...

We now enter the third and final Holiday special (four months late), Ed, Edd, n Eddy's Boo Haw Haw. This special, aired on October 28th, 2005, as you probably may have known or already guessed, is the show's Halloween special, which appears to take place in the middle of Season 5 -- which at this point in time, has TECHNICALLY been airing -- but that's another story for another time. Eddy and Double D, leaving school after Eddy has left from Detention (Season 5 has this gag a lot...), they go to Ed's house, Eddy having a plan for the three on Halloween night. They find Ed caught up in a B-Movie binge to end them all, in a hypnotized state. When the two snap Ed out of it, Eddy shows the two another precious item from Eddy's Brother -- a map to an area home to the best houses for trick-or-treating, SPOOK-E-VILLE. As the cavalcade set out into the Halloween Night in search of this place, Ed, dressed as a Barbarian, has not completely snapped out of his state, and appears to see everyone (except for his close friends) as monsters. Naturally, Ed, in this stupor, beats the living tar out of everyone in sight in hopes of vanquishing the monsters, bar Jonny 2x4 and Plank. After realizing that Eddy had been retroactively tricked by his older brother YET AGAIN, the other Cul-De-Sac kids seek their vengeance against the Eds, but as soon as Ed gets them to a hiding spot (that utterly fails at its job -- they're easily found out), instead of going after Ed themselves, they go after Edd and Eddy, who had LITTLE TO NOTHING TO DO WITH THE BEATDOWNS THEY WERE ALL GIVEN BY ED. Ed refuses to help the two, thinking that the monsters are vanquished, and in the midst of their beatdown, thinks the two are enjoying themselves.

While I can appreciate the visuals of the show during the intro and hallucination scenes, giving a callback to AKA Studio's earlier works, the ending of this special kind of... kills it for me, in retrospect. Edd and Eddy didn't really deserve the beatdowns they got when it was Ed that put them through what they did. Are they beating up them instead because they knew Ed was in a hallucinate state and refused to help the kids?

Overall, this special gets... the same damn score as Hanky Panky Hullabaloo,
6/10 JAWBREAKERS

Tune in next time when I FINALLY go into Season 5, and the first part of Season Six, which in my opinion may as well be a part of Season 5 itself.

Last edited by Space Soup on Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Space Soup on Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:19 pm

...I really, REALLY, REALLY don't want to do this, you know.

But I'm gonna. Cause I love you guys.

So, Season 5 and part of Season 6! A season technically phoned in by Cartoon Network, the show was supposed to end on Season 4. Instead, it continues on, but this time, instead of being placed during the summer, the show takes a drastic turn by transitioning into Fall and sending the kids to school. This season officially began on November 4th, 2005, though one episode aired on October 1st of that same year. However, worth noting is that the first five episodes, aired in the span of one month for a Cartoon Network promotional special, aired the shows out of production order. The first officially-shown episode is "Cleanliness is Next to Edness", or in terms of the special, "Mission Ed-possible", when the first episode in production order is "Out with the Old, In with the Ed", which officially transitions the show into it's premise for Season 5 right off the bat. Why this was done is unknown to me.

This was the first season officially done in digital ink in lieu of Cel-Shaded Animation being completely phased out by the middle of the 2000s, and the first time since Season 2 that the title card theme was changed, if only slightly. Everyone's character seems to be taken to... uncomfortably flanderized terms. Sarah and Eddy shout. Way more than usual. Edd is even more of a neatnik than usual, Jimmy remains just as cunning as he was at the end of Season 3, Rolf and Jonny are even more outlandish, and Kevin is portrayed as the popular kid in school that everyone puts on a silver pedestal. His character, especially, is one of the things I hated about Season 5. The violence also becomes VERY over the top (where they would normally get MORE than just a detention, but only the Eds get punished for stuff as usual due to rule of antagonism; nobody is at fault but our so-called antagonists.)

This season has also been the longest-running season, if only due to the fact that episodes were delayed immensely. Sometimes as long as at least four months. It officially ended (Not counting the movie) in June of 2008 in America, while Season 6, which takes place in winter along with a "Special", "The Eds are Coming", done for a CN Invaded promotion in 2006...for whatever reason.

I can't really mention most episodes in a positive light. While some like "Boom, Boom, Out Goes the Ed" and "Every Which Way But Ed" were interesting, most episodes come out either bland, or absolutely terrible.

One GLARING example I have is "A Town Called Ed". Oh, sweet Jawbreakers, A TOWN CALLED ED. After the Eds are harshly rejected from a Monster Truck showing at Kevin's house (that even Nazz finds unamusing), and discovering a book listing Eddy's ancestors as the founders of Peach Creek, Eddy uses this to get his revenge on Kevin. This would work sort of okay, except

the big one:
He's easily found out by Kevin and it's later revealed to Edd that it's not Eddy's Ancestors that own the property of Peach Creek, but the Kanker Sister's ancestors, who seemed to have won the property in a gamble. CUE THE FUCKING KANKER HARASSMENT ENDING ON TOP OF THAT. I don't give a shit if that was a marking character moment for Eddy and possibly the Kankers, that was a FUCKING TERRIBLE WAY TO USE IT.

... I have no more words for this Season. All I'll say about the first half of Season 6 is that the school gets destroyed in the end. That should hold enough of the feelings I had for Season 5.

3/10 Jawbreakers, have a good fucking night. Next time, The Big Picture Show.

Back to top Go down

Post by Space Soup on Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:53 pm

An Addendum to Season 5 and 6:
Upon reviewing my restrospective of Season 5 months after the fact, I feel as if I treated the Season as a whole much too harshly. Even this season had it's diamonds in the rough, like "Out Goes the Ed" and "Every Which Way But Ed". It also had what I consider a fitting ending with the last episode of Season 5, "A Fistful of Ed", which not only gives Edd, Ed, AND Jimmy some sweet character moments, but also finally ties up the perfect counter to all the harassment the Kankers have dealt to the Eds.

...Season Six, on the other hand, which I hardly glanced on, didn't have much to go with it -- probably due to only having two episodes -- three counting the Invaded special. Only "The Eds are Coming" and "May I have this Ed" seemed to have pure substance in them, and actually tried to bring the groups *back* to their personalities in prior seasons. "Look Before You Ed", on the other hand, seemed... very shallow, aside from some lighthearted slapstick between Ed and Double D in the beginning of the episode.

I revise my score for Season Five and Six to 6/10 Jawbreakers

"There, is everybody happy? Good."

So. The Big One. Ed, Edd, n Eddy's Big Picture Show. I still remember twelve-year old me waiting in anticipation, checking the TV.com forums and the Edtropolis fansite trying to keep tabs on the movie's progress, the what could have been scenes, and that car chase scene that had been passed around as what felt like a rumor back then... But after releasing EVERYWHERE ELSE in the year 2008, America finally got to see it on November of 2009. I was there on The3Eds when it was about to air and everyone was so excited to see it.

Was it the movie we all expected it to be? Err, maybe. After an indescribable incident sends the Eds running out of Peach Creek, with angry kids on their tail (And Sarah and Jimmy just going their own way just to see what's going to happen), Eddy decides to enlist the help of his brother to help get the three out of their mess, their journey being a long one. The Kankers, meanwhile, also hear about how the Eds are being chased down and are quick to come to their rescue. Jonny, on the other hand, breaks out his superhero persona Captain Melonhead once again, though he seems even less competent... and perhaps suffering a tad of memory loss. He's rode in a "bus" as early as Season 1, though he likely means a legitimate bus. And even still, there seems to be one-sided Animosity held between him and Plank, as unlikely as that sounds. They aren't alone. Not only do the Eds grow impatient of the others antics with their lives on the line as it is, but Nazz is constantly annoyed by Kevin's undying attention to his bike, and Rolf's pig, Wilfred, going feral on Rolf and attacking him before running off to join Sarah and Jimmy, who manage to get away from being towed in with the Kankers.

Spoiler:
All this and some... odd shipping moment between Eddy and Double D, and it all comes to a head when they meet the first full-body appearance of an adult in the show -- Eddy's Brother. Who... turns out to actually be an abusive asshole. After a curbstomped game of "Uncle", Eddy admits that his brother wasn't the perfect person he made him out to be, in front of all the kids who witnessed Eddy's beatdown. And they immediately praise them as heroes. A very strange ending, but it's an ending. A final one, too, unlike Season 4 and 5's attempts at finales.

Though this is a great movie, no episode, or in this case, movie, is without sin. As such, I am going to give it my personal rating of 8/10 Jawbreakers.

Thanks for joining me, I'm SpaceSoup, AKA Diamondized Plank. And I am an EEnE fan.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top