A Fixed Point in Time and Space - The Doctor Who Thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down

A Fixed Point in Time and Space - The Doctor Who Thread

Post by Mobias on Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:39 am

The Doctor returns on the 23rd, so I thought it was about time to make a new Who thread on here.

If you have already seen the series premiere, "Deep Breath", (or read the leaked scripts) please post spoilers in the appropriate tags, thanks!

http://tobymobias.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: A Fixed Point in Time and Space - The Doctor Who Thread

Post by coolmccool5 on Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:46 pm

I too am a Doctor Who fan. I have the following stories on DVD:

"Planet of Giants"
"The Sea Devils"
"The Three Doctors"
"City of Death"
"Shada"
"The Visitation"
The whole of Eccleston's first season (Series 1)
"The Next Doctor"
"Planet of the Dead"
"The End of Time"
The whole of Series 7
"The Day of the Doctor"
"The Time of the Doctor"

In fact, I myself have been having ideas for Doctor Who stories in my head for almost two years now. Just that I haven't gotten around to writing them out.

And no, I haven't seen or read the leaked series 8 premiere or its script. In fact, I was shocked to have heard that it was leaked. (To the point of me saying "How in the twelve galaxies did that happen?".)
coolmccool5

Back to top Go down

Post by Mobias on Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:24 pm

As far as official releases, I only have Series 1 and 2 of the revival, though I really must acquire a DVD of The Enemy Within (aka the 1996 TV movie), as Paul McGann's Eighth Doctor is my favourite.

Have you listened to any of the (now sort of canon) audiodramas? If not, I highly recommend the McGann story "Storm Warning", introducing his iconic companion Charley Pollard, and the 50th anniversary story "The Light at the End", which features the Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, Seventh and Eighth Doctors working together (with appearances by impersonators doing the first three Doctors).

Back to top Go down

Post by coolmccool5 on Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:53 pm

I've still been desiring "The Enemy Within", as it is no longer available at the local Best Buy. Another story I have been desiring is the Troughton era story "Enemy of the World", which was found in whole by the BBC in a rely station in Nigeria, of all places, one or two years ago, and was recently released on DVD after being digitally restored along with the majority of "The Web of Fear".

I've only listened to "The Light at the End", and I really enjoyed it.

And to be honest, the majority of the audio dramas were already canon, as a number of them are actually audio adaptations of Classic era stories that never got off the drawing board or were never broadcast on TV (a number of them being from the original Season 23, such as "The Nightmare Fair", "Mission to Magnus", "Hollows of Time", etc.).

The only ones non-canon were the "Unbound" series, which are comprised of "what if" scenarios, like "What if the Doctor and Susan never left Gallifrey?" or "What if the Valeyard won?", etc.)

From what I know, 90% of overall Doctor Who canon exists in its Expanded Universe (novels, comics and audio dramas), which is the reason why the Eighth was the longest lived incarnation of the Doctor in canon.
coolmccool5

Back to top Go down

Post by Mobias on Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:55 am

coolmccool5 wrote:And to be honest, the majority of the audio dramas were already canon, as a number of them are actually audio adaptations of Classic era stories that never got off the drawing board or were never broadcast on TV (a number of them being from the original Season 23, such as "The Nightmare Fair", "Mission to Magnus", "Hollows of Time", etc.).
Until Night of the Doctor and Eighth's mentioning of his companions -- that only existed in audiodramas -- they were in dubious canonization because, while they were licensed by the Beeb, they didn't come directly from the BBC, for the same reason most of the various novels (that aren't based on existing episodes) aren't distinctly canon.

Also, you can purchase Enemy of the World (which is fantastic, by the by) on iTunes, if you don't mind tangling with Apple.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mobias on Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:39 am

No spoilers here, but "Deep Breath" was very good. Easily one of the best regeneration stories, and probably the second best of the revival (the best being "The Eleventh Hour", imho). Capaldi is a very different beast from Smith, in the best way. He's old, grumpy, argumentative, and full of a firey passion that speaks to his age. The episode also probably has the best use of Vastra, Strax and Jenny so far, which is great. There are also nice callbacks to the Tennant era, something I notice Moffat is doing a lot more of lately.

I'm told "Into the Dalek" is a bit of a shit episode, but I'm ALSO told Capaldi saves it, much like how Tennant saved a lot of truly awful scripts during his tenure ("Last of the Time Lords" anyone?).

Back to top Go down

Post by Saffaur on Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:26 pm

I just saw this topic so a bump:

Peter Capaldi has been wonderful so far. I think he's my second favorite Doctor already! Takes over Tom Baker's spot and is right behind Matt Smith.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mobias on Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:42 pm

Capaldi has been doing fantastic. It was a really good season, mostly because of him and the new writers on staff.

Of course, Moffat will be Moffat...

Back to top Go down

Post by Saffaur on Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:28 am

I really enjoyed the Dreamcrab episode. Is it just me though? I heard from some others (irl mostly) it wasn't that good.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mobias on Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:22 am

It had a lot of issues, but Nick Frost as Santa and some of the story elements were quite nice, I think.

Back to top Go down

Post by Saffaur on Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:59 pm

It also gave me one of my favorite jokes of the season with the Alien part.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top