Why do you play video games?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Why do you play video games?

Post by 腐川冬子/fukawa touko on Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:01 pm

To be honest, I don't see any reason to play games anymore. I'm not trying to be a cynical, fun-hating asshole, but there's nothing to even look forward to in my eyes except for Metal Gear Solid V. Playing games nowadays is just to fill the void in my life where I've got nothing else to do. It's not fun or even though-provoking, it's just mindless shit. It feels like every game nowadays is the same old shit. Even the indie games, which used to be this shining beacon of "LOOK AT ME, I'M SO UNIQUE" are getting stale.

My only defense for playing fighting games is that unlike literally every game ever made, they actually take skill and provide thrill. You gotta make intelligent and fast decisions with combos and techniques you practiced. Every other game is autopilot or 15-minute tutorial city.

I don't know if I want to expand on this rant or not. But please, tell me why you nerds devote every second of your existence to drooling over Nintendo's next big reskin of Super Mario whatever. (I choose Nintendo since everyone but me here has every Nintendo game ever made and nothing but. Not hating on Nintendo, I fucking love the Gamecube.)
腐川冬子/fukawa touko
Admin

http://zebunker.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Why do you play video games?

Post by King of Sushi on Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:10 pm

I play them because I personally find vidya to be the most interesting art/entertainment medium. This is for a few reasons:

1. Very few films, television series, and novels have personally affected me as much as games like To the Moon, MGS2 (3 had it's moments too), Brothers, The Last of Us, Mother 3, and quite a few more.
2. For the games that I play for entertainment instead of an artistic experience, I just have a shitload of fun when playing them.
3. I find that, with a lot of offerings from the past and current generations, whether it be old console games, arcade games, indie games (there's more to indie games than just ones that are "retro" for the sake of being "retro"), including freeware (I'd recommend trying Cave Story, OFF, and some RPG Maker horror games before dismissing freeware completely due to some shitty Flash games), some excellent AAA titles, PC games, and others, I just find it to be a medium that's well worth exploring.

And don't worry, Tomoko, I hate Nintendo fanboys as well.
King of Sushi

Back to top Go down

Post by The Villain of Scams on Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:45 pm

Because it's fun...? There is literally no 'mindless' videogame in the world. Even in CoD you have the "intelligent and fast decisions", and if you do them right you get the "thrill". Videogames are fun. They're a hobby. They are thought-provoking. Have you ever lost a fighting game match because you realized you made a stupid decision(s) at some point? Yes, you have. Have you ever lost a round of TF2 because you made a stupid decision(s)? Yes, you have. Have you ever lost a Pokemon battle because you made a stupid decision(s)? Yes, you have. This happens in every game. It happens in Pac-Man. It happens in Mario. It happens in Tetris. Just because you're not solving pre-calculus problems and writing 10-page essays about why society likes to do x, y and z doesn't mean you're not thinking. Like, the only difference is that fighting games aren't as pick up and play as... TF2 is, for example. But there is still skill involved in TF2.

Also, I don't think anyone drools over Mario games. You should've said Smash Bros or something. I don't think there's anything wrong with videogames themselves personally, but instead something horribly wrong with the videogame industry.

Anyway the TL;DR of my answer is because videogames are fun. If you're not enjoying videogames it's probably because you're depressed or have the mindset of the middle-aged business man. No offense. But, if you really want the whole 'complex' thing, there's a lot of videogames like that. Like POKEMANS and Advance Wars and DOTA 2 and shit.
The Villain of Scams

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top