Recursive's Gallery of Art Kinda

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Recursive's Gallery of Art Kinda

Post by Recursive Sweatpants on Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:10 pm

So I make art sometimes I think. Some of it is decent, but my old stuff is pretty horrid. This first post will contain what I think are my best or my favorite works, while I'll put everything new I make in its own post. If you want to view all my crappier art for whatever reason, you can see it in all of its badly-drawn horror here.
Spoiler:

This is the logo I made for my Ed, Edd, n' Eddy and Earthbound crossover story, Kevinbound. I consider the story to be my best work of writing, and since it took three years to get from start to finish, it's had a pretty big impact on my life.

This picture, while incredibly horribly drawn, marks the first time I ever tried to draw Project Monster, a character of mine who doesn't have a story to call his own just yet. I'm putting this here just to show how much less sucky I've gotten over the four years since I drew this.

This is a picture of one of my best friends I drew when we were in highschool. She was strange and eclectic, and we joked that if she was ever in an anime or a webcomic, she'd use a stopsign with the word "GO" on it as a weapon. The background and lineart are kinda crappy, but I like this picture regardless, as it marks when I first started getting interested in improving my drawing skills and making full-color pictures.

This is probably the first time I had ever drawn a decent-looking hand; if not the one holding the butter knife, then definitely the other one. Though the more I look at it, the more I realize how off the perspective is. If I ever redo this, I'll definitely try to apply some foreshortening so my hand doesn't look like it's comically oversized.

These next two pictures were done in an art class I took in highschool. Our teacher was super nice, and she helped me with some insecurities I had with trying to draw realistically and planning things out. Before, I tried to draw things perfect the first time around; for me, a sketch was a finished drawing before I scanned it and touched it up in GIMP, but she helped me realize that I can start losely and build upon the drawing, making gradual edits and additions until it looks better. This self-portrait was done by using a black-and-white photo as an outline and then gradually adding in the value.

This was a small project in the art class, but it was one of my favorites. Our teacher let us use very high-quality colored pencils on black paper to draw planets and stars by tracing circular objects and shading them in with color. I decided to use it as an opportunity to draw a concept that's fascinated me ever since I played Super Mario Galaxy: binary planet systems. I've always loved the idea of being able to look up and see an upside-down world above you, and two planets orbiting closely around one another lets you do that.

These next four images are based on the tiny yet profound flash game, Today I Die. Google it. Now. It's very short, so play it and you'll understand what these pictures are all about.

This is when I first started drawing using exclusively my pen tablet. This was the first time I ever drew Project Monster and was somewhat satisfied with it. This picture also shows me that I've improved since then; I can draw people a lot less wonky now, and I can draw Project's poncho and kilt with a little more detail.

This is definitely one of my all-time favorite pictures, as well as one of my best, in my opinion. I've always wanted to create a story about a giant monster, born from a laboratory accident and raised by scientists, who does NOT automatically turn evil by sheer virtue of them being a giant monster (and also not doofy-looking, as most gentle giants are portrayed). I think I was really able to capture that here, a simple gesture and decent lineart and proportions. The only thing I really don't like about it is the background; I wish I could make it more intersting, but I just can't think of anything to put there besides a simple gradient.

This picture I like for pretty much the opposite reasons of the last one. I consider this to be my first decent background, but the more I look at the characters, the more problems I see with them. Project's head is too big, Liza's face is really creepy, and Allan's pose is awkward. I had a lot of fun coloring in the trees, though, and I got to experiment with the colors of the leaves and the ground, so I'm overall okay with this picture.

If I ever get into game design (or at least, if I ever learn how to use Unity), I'd like to make a game where you play as this lady. I have two stories in mind for her: The first has her lost in a surreal world of her missing memories, and she believes she has to find her soul in order to escape. In the second, she wakes up to find herself trapped in a menacing castle, and is mistaken for an evil witch by both the "heroes" of the game and the monsters that roam the place. She must avoid the former by enlisting the latters' help as she tries to escape and find her way home.

I love the Game Grumps, I love the Nostalgia Critic, I love the Angry Video Game Nerd, and I love the Homestuck. So I mashed them all together. That's all there really is to say on the matter. (Also I didn't do that background I ripped that from the comic.)

Similar to the picture above with Project Monster being friendly to a little girl, I like this picture, as it shows him being gentle. Also like the picture above, the background kinda sucks, but since it features the other twin doing something cute with the giant monster, I just say that it was done on purpose so the pictures match more.

This is another picture of my best friend, done for her 20th birthday. She was the one who introduced me to Homestuck, and we're both pretty strong fans even half a year into the gigapause. This picture is where I first learned how to give texture to surfaces, by ripping pictures off of Google Images and using layer masks to overlay them on top of whatever I needed textured. She is the Maid of Blood in the Land of Sugar and Dice, if anyone is interested.

I've also made a model! You can see it in all of its untextured, somewhat incomplete averageness by clicking on the picture below:

Last edited by Recursive Sweatpants on Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:03 am; edited 2 times in total
Recursive Sweatpants

Back to top Go down

Re: Recursive's Gallery of Art Kinda

Post by Spikender on Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:49 am

I can tell how much you've improved from picture to picture.

You're actually really good at shading, for some reason that just really stood out to me in those last few pictures.
Spikender

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top