A mod recommends a bit of anime

View previous topic View next topic Go down

A mod recommends a bit of anime

Post by Saffaur on Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:35 pm

Hello this is your local mod speaking. With the new anime season coming out, I thought of an idea. Why not recommend anime I've seen? It shouldn't be too bad, right?

These are my opinions on some good, watching anime... put under a spoiler tab due to heavy gif usage. Anime ratings go from anyone to being heavily suggested for adults/those with a sensible gore tolerance. If you don't see an anime on here like FMA or OPM, it's because I assume you've watched it before since those are two pretty commonly watched animes.

Without further adieu:

Anime (GIF HEAVY):
Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works

Young magi summon the ghosts of history's (and myth's) past in order to do battle. The winner gets the Holy Grail. Beautiful animation by Ufotable. If you're going to watch Fate/Zero, but don't want to get fully into the Fate/Stay series, watch this before Fate/Zero.

Fate/Zero

Prequel to Fate/Stay night. Follows protagonist Kiritsugu Emiya and his struggles for the Grail. It's better then it's sequel with more interesting characters imo. Best anime of all time every time. I'd gush about it longer but I have some more anime to show.

Berserk

Guts's life is suffering. A story about a man who ends up going through Hell and back. Watch the original anime or, Hell, even the cgi movies, but not the 2016 series. Only watch if you can handle graphic content. Alternatively, read the manga. The original series only covers the Golden Age Arc, the most infamous of all.

Nichijou

A comedic slice of life anime. Really funny, really relaxing. The characters are all adorable and, surprisingly, never really obnoxious. Follows three highschool girl mcs, a professor and her robot, and other side characters.

Monthly Girl's Nozaki/Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki Kun

Chiyo Sakura is in love with a manga artist. She confesses to him, but he mistakes he confession as an offer to work for him. Oops. Genuinely hilarious anime, didn't expect it to be as funny as it was.

Kara no Kyoukai

A supernatural anime that follows an mc named Mikaya. He meets a girl named Shiki Ryougi, who isn't as she seems. Namely, Shiki Ryougi has two personalities and a thing for violence. A series of movies, all really good.

Code Geass

In an alternate universe, Britain controls the world. An heir to the king, Lelouch Lamperoge, masquerades as freedom fighter/terrorist Zero to fight against them.

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress/Koutetsujou no Kabaneri

Attack on Titan, done better, steampunk, with zombies. I prefer it over Attack on Titan so far, as someone who's been keeping up with the manga for a while.

Serial Experiments Lain

A thinky anime. Similar to the Matrix in a few ways, a really fucking crazy anime. Often confusing, but imo well worth it in the end. It's confusing in a similar way to Eva, requiring some careful guesses. Or you could just look it up online, I suppose.

Revolutionary Girl Utena

Another "thinky" anime. It's to shoujo what Eva is to mechas. A girl named Utena Tenjou decides instead of being a princess, she'll be a prince, and in the sequence of events that shape her life, loses her innocence, but gains something else.

Back to top Go down

Re: A mod recommends a bit of anime

Post by Spikender on Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:40 pm

I just came in here to make sure that Berserk was on here.

You passed the test.
Spikender

Back to top Go down

Post by Saffaur on Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:45 pm

Spikender wrote:I just came in here to make sure that Berserk was on here.

You passed the test.
Spoiler:
What happens during the Golden Age arc is genuinely one of the most disturbing things I've seen drawn down. I hope the creator is okay. I hope he enjoys his Idolm@ster and is sane because I don't think anyone with an okay mind could write that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Spikender on Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:45 pm

Saffaur wrote:
Spoiler:
What happens during the Golden Age arc is genuinely one of the most disturbing things I've seen drawn down. I hope the creator is okay. I hope he enjoys his Idolm@ster and is sane because I don't think anyone with an okay mind could write that.

I think the creator will be fine, as long as he stays on his meds. While some intense shit did go down, the beautiful thing about it was that it was not without warrant; it was not disturbing for the sake of being disturbing but for the sake of plot escalation until the beautiful end of the arc that capped off with the
Spoiler:
eclipse.

That's why I liked a lot of the disturbing scenes in context. I think some movies and shows are just disturbing for the sake of being disturbing, or they pull it off in a goofy or over-dramatized way. Berserk pulled them off perfectly.
Spikender

Back to top Go down

Post by TheScorpion on Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:54 am

Well, I certainly am interested to talk about anime with anyone here since I'm more into it than I was back in high school. might well go over what you mentioned.

Might as well compile it as well:

Well this part with will be a long one. I first got into Fate by watching a few episodes of the subpar DEEN adaptation since this guy recommended it. Suffice to say, I didn't like it. But then years later, I decided that I wanted to check out both Fate/Zero and UBW since many people loved those but wasn't sure where to start. This other guy certainly helped to motivate me but I ultimately started with the original VN which was an overlong drag to get through. But once the summer hit, I decided to put my time into at least beating the Fate route of the VN since I found it more interesting to do that over going back to the DEEN adaptation(which has some spoilers for the other routes) and then watch Fate/Zero then go to UBW. This worked out in the end since Fate/Zero ultimately became my 2nd all-time favorite anime(behind FullMetal Alchemist : Brotherhood) and I also really liked Unlimited Blade Works as well. Hope Heavens Feel will be alright as well.

Berserk, I first got into thanks to Behemoth and I really love it. Shame that I haven't made much progress in it lately since the original anime I've only seen a few episodes for and is out of print, I've only seen the first Golden Age Arc movie and I'm unsure if I wanna continue it even if I kinda liked it, and the manga I have on hold in favor for JoJo. I still plan to return to it someday though even if I know how The Golden Age Arc ends.

Nichijou I wanna check out someday, shame I can't find any where to watch it legally either.

I've seen Monthly Girls Nozaki-Kun recently during the summer participating in a Lets Rewatch with r/anime and I certainly love it. Shame that the first that I heard of it was Arkada telling to skip it.

I'm considering Kara No Kyoukai, but what's makes it scared of it is that I heard that it pretty incomprehensible which reminds me of the pain I went through when I watched all of Shinsekai Yori during another Lets Rewatch.

Code Geass I'm definitely planning to get back into, likely in October. This story certainly motivated me to do so.

I liked Kabaneri..........Until Biba showed up.

Lain, again like Kara No Kyoukai I;m a bit scared to touch as well.

Utena I might watch as well, Maybe once I finally get to finishing Evangelion.

So yeah in short, I hope you make more of these!
TheScorpion

http://thechaostheater.net/forums/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top