ZeBunker's Super Smash Flash 2 Tournament

View previous topic View next topic Go down

ZeBunker's Super Smash Flash 2 Tournament

Post by Efe Clemenza on Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:45 am

'Cause all the cool kids are doing it and I wanna be a cool kid.

After Smash won the first Pokemon Tournament, Sapph won the second, and Bren won the JoJo tournament (and now BB won the LC tournament), I've been interested in hosting my own tournament. And I figured the best way to go about it would be to find a free game that doesn't necessarily require any controller or something to play, so it's accessible to anything. SSF2 came to mind, and that's what I'm going with.

So, what is Super Smash Flash 2?

Super Smash Flash is a freeware Smash Bros. clone with a bit of an odd cast, to say the least (what other game could Lloyd from Tales of Symphonia go up against Goku in?). It strikes at a happy medium for a pace somewhere between all of the official Smash games, so you should feel comfortable regardless of which one you're coming from. It plays just fine with a keyboard, but if you plan to use a controller, you'll need a program like Joy2Key to make sure it works.

HOW TO ENTER:
1. Head here to play SSF2 in your browser, or head here to download it. Make sure you get the most recent version if you're downloading it.
2. Make an account here. This is necessary to play online. You'll need to log in to the account and add SSF2 to your library before the game recognizes that you can play online.
3. Join the Fight Room Discord. This'll make it easier for us to discuss the game. All else fails, we can use the regular ZeBunker Discord.
4. Let me know either on Discord or here that you'd like to join.

CURRENT PARTICIPANTS:
Efe
BrenHans
Bleach Behemoth
The Villain of Scams
Leachy Puffballl
Gokua
DiaPlank
Spikender

I'm capping this tournament at 16 entrants. The matches will be double-elimination.

THE RULES:
I'm taking the rules from here and changing a few things. These rules are subject to change, and I'd like to hear your thoughts on them in case anything needs fixing.

GENERAL RULES:
-Sets will be 3 stocks, 7 minutes.
-Items are off.
-Hazards are off.
-Sets are Best of 3, until, Grand Finals, Winners Finals, and Losers Finals where they will be Best of 5.

CHARACTER RULES:
-Both players may choose whichever character they'd like for the first match in a set.
-The winner of any match in a set must remain on their character. This applies for people choosing Random. The loser is free to change their character if they so choose.

STAGE RULES:
I had a bit of difficulty deciding on this one. I've got three different ideas on how to go about it, and I'd really like your thoughts on which one you think works. The first is the official method, and the other two are ones I came up with in case the first is a bit too complicated.

STAGE LIST:
Neutrals

Battlefield
Nintendo 3DS
Smashville
Yoshi's Story
Dream Land

Counterpicks

Tower of Salvation
Castle Siege
Mirror Chamber
Sky Sanctuary Zone

OPTION 1:
-Players will strike stages to decide on which stage to play on. Before the first match, the first player will strike one neutral stage, and the second player will strike two more. The first player will then decide which of the remaining neutral stages to play on. The 'first' player is whoever has the higher seed. Seeding will be random.
-After the first match, the winner will strike three stages (including Counterpick stages this time), and the loser may choose from the remaining stages. Stages that were struck during round 1 are available again.
-If a player has won on a stage during a set, they may not select that stage again during that set.

OPTION 2:
-Matches will be played on a stage randomly chosen from the legal stage list, regardless of the outcome of the previous match.

OPTION 3:
-Matches will be played on Nintendo 3DS, Smashville, or Battlefield, as decided by the players.

GENTLEMAN'S RULE:
-If both players agree to it, any stage may be played on, even stages not on the legal stage list.

SUDDEN DEATH CLAUSE:
-If Sudden Death is initiated by a player via suicide move, then the initiator wins the round, regardless of what the results screen says. If Sudden Death starts via time-out, the player with more stocks is the winner. If the stocks are tied, the player with lower percent is the winner. If percents are tied, a 1-stock 3-minute tiebreaker game will be played with the same characters on the same stage to determine the results of the match. If that match goes to Sudden Death again, a second 1-stock match with no time limit will be played, and this will repeat until a winner is decided, unless Sudden Death is triggered intentionally in which case the player who initiated the Sudden Death will lose the match.

That's about all I can think about for now. Please let me know what you think, and even if you're not planning on playing, join the chat anyway and have a good time with the rest of us! I'll try and see if I can stream the matches so everyone can watch. If not, I'll still be recording from my end, so I can post the matches on Youtube. I've decided that, given the Beta version should be releasing soon, that this tournament will be held either on the weekend after the Beta is released or the weekend after that, depending on just when it comes out. Train hard until then, and I'll see you on the field of battle! Or maybe just Battlefield.

Last edited by Efe Clemenza on Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:58 pm; edited 4 times in total
Efe Clemenza

Back to top Go down

Re: ZeBunker's Super Smash Flash 2 Tournament

Post by Brimstone Behemoth on Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:50 pm

I am ready to smash some shit up.

(That means I'll join)
Brimstone Behemoth

Back to top Go down

Post by Leachy Pufball on Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:12 pm

I'm in
Leachy Pufball

Back to top Go down

Post by The Villain of Scams on Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:51 pm

I'm in.
The Villain of Scams

Back to top Go down

Post by BrenHans on Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:00 pm

I'm also gonna participate and KILL YOU ALL that goes for you Gokua! You will AND I MEAN YOU WILL, wear the hat MOTHA FUCKA!
BrenHans

Back to top Go down

Post by Gokua on Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:00 pm

I'm in, boy.
Gokua

Back to top Go down

Post by Space Soup on Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:42 pm

Sure, I'm in. Also, bumping now that the Little Cup is over

http://diaplank.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Spikender on Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:53 pm

I'll join so I can lose three consecutive tournaments I've played in.
Spikender

Back to top Go down

Post by Efe Clemenza on Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:01 pm

I've edited the first post with some new information, all the important changes have been bolded. More importantly, I've a question for you. I originally planned to do double-elimination, but if we go through each match one at a time, it will take several hours to complete. So I have one of three options.

A) Make the tournament single-elimination to save time.

B) Have each player play their match as they are ready, instead of waiting for the previous match to finish.

C) Keep the format as-is, and possibly split up the tournament between two days if it takes too long.

If we go with the second option, I'll ask that you please save your replays and send them to me after the tournament is over. That way, I can still have the matches and upload them to my channel so everyone can see them. Anyway, please let me know what you think we should do, and thanks ahead of time.
Efe Clemenza

Back to top Go down

Post by The Villain of Scams on Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:10 pm

Did this die
The Villain of Scams

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top